DEVILED BUNNY EGGS
Time: 15 minutes
12 servings, 2 filled egg whites each
hard-cooked eggs, peeled
teaspoons yellow mustard
thin 2-inch long celery sticks
mini chocolate chips
thin 2-inch long pieces carrot
- SLICE eggs lengthwise in half. REMOVE
yolks; place in a medium bowl.
- STIR mayonnaise, mustard and salt into yolks until
- DIVIDE yolk mixture evenly between egg whites.
- For each “bunny”, USE 3 mini chocolate chips – 2 for eyes and 1 for a nose. PLACE
2 celery sticks near top of “bunny” for ears. PLACE
4 carrot pieces at an angle under nose for whiskers.
- COVER a serving platter with lettuce. PLACE bunnies on lettuce.
- REFRIGERATE until ready to serve.
· Substitute small pieces of black olive for the mini
chocolate chips. Use carrots pieces for
the ears, and chives or dill for the whiskers.
· Plate can be covered with lettuce leaves, tinted dried
coconut or paper grass.
eggs can be difficult to peel. To ensure easily peeled eggs, buy and
refrigerate them a week to 10 days in advance of cooking. This brief "breather" allows the
eggs time to take in air, which helps separate the membranes from the shell.
eggs: PLACE eggs in saucepan large enough to hold them in single
layer. ADD cold water to cover eggs by 1 inch. HEAT over high heat just
to boiling. REMOVE from burner. COVER pan. LET EGGS STAND in hot water about 15
minutes for large eggs (12 minutes for medium eggs; 18 minutes for extra-large)
COOL completely under cold running water and peel.
eggs are easiest to peel right after
cooling. Cooling causes the egg to
contract slightly in the shell.
To peel a
hard-cooked egg: Gently tap egg on countertop until shell is
finely crackled all over.
Roll egg between hands to loosen shell.
Starting peeling at large end, holding egg under cold running water to
help ease the shell off.